Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dark Shadows

As a kid, I was really into Dark Shadows. I loved watching the stories unfold on the TV screen. However, there was much more to Dark Shadows than the TV show.

First off, there was also a whole series of books related to the show. The author, Marilyn Ross, was actually Dan Ross writing under his wife's name. I probably read most of these books at a young age. A precocious and avid reader, I tended to sneak and read the things I actually wanted to read instead of the more age-appropriate offerings.

I also had two board games that tied in to the series: Dark Shadows and Barnabas Collins.

Dark Shadows was a game in which you moved a token around the board. It was a traditional board game by Whitman, and it was my favorite of the two. As a bonus, it included a wallet-sized photo of Barnabas himself.

Barnabas Collins was different; the object of the game was to collect bones and put the skeletons together. Milton Bradley also included a set of fangs that glowed in the dark.

I also found this cool site about Dark Shadows collectibles. Looking it over, I think I recognize the pink Magic Slate, so it's possible I had one of those. I have no idea why I didn't have the two jigsaw puzzles, since I loved putting them together, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. Still, the one in front looks vaguely familiar, so maybe I really did have that one. My memory is pretty faulty, so I just don't know.

I remember how happy I was when Dark Shadows was revived back in 1991. It was really good, but unfortunately, it was only around for twelve episodes.

I've tried to watch the original series as an adult, but I gave up. It just wasn't the same, so I thought it was best to leave the series in my memories.

2 comments:

M Pax said...

Funny how some shows work that way.

Kathleen said...

Hi

I am finally getting around to my visitors from the A-Z challenge!!

I was too overwhelmed to do any quality visiting during April--I had literally just started my very first blog only days before the challenge began---but I survived!!

Now, to the fun part of visiting all my blogger friends who dropped in on me!!

I love your blog and I'll be back!!